Frequently Asked Questions

A few tips to make your stay more enjoyable



Question: What are the 2014 Major Regulation Changes?


  • 2014 Annual Affiliate/Non Member spouse fishing permit has increased from $45.00 to $50.00.
  • Exclusive Special Use Lakes Reservations & Permits (Christmas Tree Lake Limited Access Permits, Rent A Lake Permits and Rent A Lake Access Permits) .
  • The term "Affiliate" has change to "Non Member Spouse" in these regulations.
  • All boats and watercraft including single person non-motorized craft and float tubes require a daily or annual "Boat/Watercraft Permit".
  • Non Member Spouse Annual Recreation Permit price has been reduced from $150.00 to $100.00.
  • The area south of route 12, east of route O11, north of the Salt River Special Use Area, and west of U.S. 60 is now a “Closed Area”.
  • The area north of Arizona State Route 260 and south of the Reservation boundary is now a “Closed Area”.
  • No flagging or roping off of campgrounds/camp-sites, camping on the Reservation is “First-come first-served” and does not require reservations”.
  • Increased Daily River Rafting fee from $20.00 to $25.00 (per person).

Question: How long are my annual permits valid?


  • All of our annual permits are valid for the calendar year in which it was purchase from January 1 through December 31. 

Question: Where do I get a copy of my online permits?


  • Permits purchased online must be printed or saved at the time of purchase. Permits will not be availabe in "My Account" or through email at a later time.
  • Customer, please note on the consent for you agreed to once read. Permits are non-refundable and non-transferable. All sales are final.

General Questions 

Question: Can non members hike to the peak of Mt. Baldy?


  • Mt. Baldy is a sacred mountain to the White Mountain Apache and ask non members to respect as so. On the Fort Apache Reservation, Mt. Baldy is in our CLOSED AREA. Part of the mountain is off the reservation and can be accessed up to the reservation boundary. 

Question: What do I need to know about bears?


  • The black bear is found throughout the reservation and on occasions can become a camp ground visitor. Bears are not pets and must be respected. The following tips will minimize an encounter with bears.
  • Do not leave food unattended.
  • Properly store coolers and food in locked cars or hang from a tree, 15 feet off the ground and 5 feet from the trunk.
  • Do not attempt to feed or bait bears. Bears quickly learn to associate food with humans.
  • Never store food in your tent.
  • Keep pets on leashes at all times. Bears quickly become aggressive when taunted or chased.
  • Never relocate garbage receptacles. They are placed there for your safety.
  • Dispose of garbage immediately and always keep your camp clean.
  • Never approach a bear.
  • Do not run in presence of bear.
  • Stay away from animal carcasses.
  • Be alert at all times.
  • If you encounter a bear that exhibits no fear of humans or aggressive behavior, report it to Camp host, Game Ranger, or the Game & Fish Department immediately.


Question: Can we camp on the shore of the lake?


  • Campsites are not to be set up any closer than 75 feet from the water edge.

Question: What kind of service is provided at the campgrounds?


  • Each campground is different.
  • All have a table and fire ring.
  • Most have potable water close by.
  • There are no electric hookups.

Question: Can we reserve campgrounds?


  • No, campsites are first come, first serve.



Question: Where do you recommend I take my family, especially my kids, to catch fish?


  • During the summer season, most of our streams are stocked weekly.
  • The high country trout lakes are stocked at least once and sometimes twice a month.
  • The lakes and stock tanks containing catfish and bass are stocked once a year.

Question: What is the daily Creel bag limit?


  • For Adults, the daily creel limit is 5 Trout, 15 Catfish, and 15 Smallmouth.
  • For Youth 10-14, the daily creel limit is 3 Trout, 8 Catfish, and 8 Smallmouth.
  • For Children 9 and under, the creel limit is 2 Trout, 8 Catfish, and 8 Smallmouth.

Question: What species of fish are on the Reservation?


  • In the high elevation lakes, we have Apache Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, and Brook Trout.
  • Lower elevation waters contain Chanel Catfish, Flathead Catfish, Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, and various sunfish.

Question: Do you need a State of Arizona fishing permit to fish on the Reservation?


  • No, State fishing permits are not required on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.